The Southern Theater provides a home for artists, giving them the freedom to focus on what matters most, their art. We add new value by fostering a community that serves the artist's need for stability, for a sense of place, for the opportunity to experiment and as a resource to learn and grow. We offer audiences a unique experience that ignites their imaginations and expands their perspectives in an extraordinary historical theater.
A collaborative environment in all our endeavors
An adventurous spirit
Bringing together a community of artists, audiences, neighbors, and friends
Artistic excellence in every art form
Actions rooted in integrity
Located at Seven Corners in Minneapolis near the University of Minnesota's West Bank campus, our intimate, 165-seat house serves as a leading and valued venue for eclectic, experimental and engaging work that appeals to diverse audiences. The Southern Theater opened its doors on March 1, 1910, offering a variety of entertainments. Following years as a garage, warehouse, antique shop, restaurant and vacancy, the Southern resumed its role as a theater when the Guthrie Theater renovated the space for use as a second stage. With the assistance of the Minneapolis Arts Commission, the Southern Theater Foundation emerged in its present, non-profit corporate structure in 1983.
The Southern aspires to provide equal access and opportunity in all of its activities and programs.
- Relative to parking, continuous sidewalk access is available from our front door to a fully-accessible public ramp located around the corner and one block distant.
- Four Metro Transit bus lines pick-up and discharge passengers within ½ block to two blocks’ distance of our door.
- Access to the light rail is within four blocks of the Southern.
- Responsibility for the provision of ASL interpretation, assistive listening devices, audio description services, and large print programs rests with our individual constituent users. Please contact artists directly to inquire about these services.
- Our ticket counter has been designed to accommodate the height needs of people in wheelchairs.
- Our theater provides for wheelchair and companion seating. Please call our box office at 612.326.1811 for seating requests and companion seat requests.